Monday, February 24, 2014

30 Day Positivity Challenge

Dearest Friends and Family,

If you've read the previous blog entry about my acknowledging my mental health the past few months than you know that I will be sharing what I hope to be something healthy for myself and to others if they come across these entries.

Last night before writing up "Where has he gone?" I was aching for something to fuel and jumpstart my brain. Netflix is a wonderful way to entertain yourself, lord knows Ive gotten through many seasons of my favorite shows in just one night and that can be an interesting experience when you put your mind to it . . lol My favorites are "New Girl," "30 Rock," "Arrested Development," and "American Horror Story."

Though my favorite shows aren't able to cure the unease my mind has enveloped around itself I needed something to refresh it. I decided to watch "TED Talks." Motivational speakers that discuss many things on a simplistic level but very poignant in delivery… at this moment that sentence spilled out of me and Ive never used simplistic and poignant and I hope I used them correctly lol

One such TED Talk that inspired me had a challenge for its audience or anyone watching that required 21 Days to exert as many positive acts one can do daily. I wrote them down and felt that this was a start.

So I tweaked it a bit and dubbed it "The 30 Day Positivity Challenge." Which includes the following acts performed DAILY.
 1, 3 Gratitudes, expressing what you are great full for in life and who you are grateful for as well.
 2, Journaling, writing about something positive that has happened in your day.
 3, Exercise, we all know that after exercising we feel so much better about ourselves. The endorphins we release are known for making us happy and feel good, which results in being confident, healthy and happy.
 4, Meditation, taking time to meditate for a few mins can do wonders and it helps to balance your body and mind.
 5, Random Acts of kindness, send a Thank you email, or write to someone telling them how much you appreciate them. Open the door for people. Smile at people, give compliments. Help someone in need, join a charity group. Knowing that you're doing such nice things for others will make you feel good.

Those five steps are what I hope to be building blocks I can put back in place or add to in my life at this time.

For Starters here are the 3 things Im grateful for:

1, My Talent.
Ive been very lucky in that I have no real attachments in life to hold me back or down. No kids, not married, no family around me. My Mother says Ive the world in the palm of my hand. Something I take for granted I guess. I've the freedom to do what I love and that is to paint. A gift that I shouldn't be selfish with and keep away from those I know are inspired by it.

2, Im great full for the gifts my Uncles Milo and Steve have given me.
A laptop to work on and keep me entertained, a way to communicate with others and to share my art with as well. Also my new planner, which has a pinup girl for every day of the week. Art by Gil Elvgren. Last but not least Uncle Milo and his wisdom. I can't explain how it works but he does understand a lot of what Im going through, he was once in my shoes. So it means a lot to hear what he has to say about life. Thank you.

3, Im grateful for TEDTalks. With out them Id have no real way to learn to help myself. I don't exactly have money for a professional to help me so TEDTalks are the next best thing!

Ps: Ive misspelled Grateful a lot and I hope the Grammar Police don't judge me. Didn't catch it till the last sentence.
#Derp

-Xavier

No comments:

Post a Comment